Birth Injury Lawsuits
If you believe you or your child has been harmed by the negligence of medical professional during the pregnancy or birthing process, contact Medical Injury Law to talk to a lawyer for a free consultation.
Lawsuits Around A Birth Injury
Medical providers have a duty to act within the standard of care when caring for pregnant patients and newborns. One way they can violate that duty is by failing to appropriately tend to a patient during pregnancy or the birthing process. There are many ways a medical provider could fall below the standard, including:
- Failing to recognize high risk pregnancies and take precautions
- Errors in fetal heart rate monitoring
- Not delivering the baby in a timely manner
- Not recognizing issues involving the fetal positioning
- Failure to handle instruments carefully during delivery
- And others
It is important to recognize that not every failure causing a birth injury is a result of medical malpractice. In order for there to be a potential case, you must be able to prove that the doctor acted negligently and that the outcome would have been different if the doctor or nurse performed within the standard of care. This depends on the facts surrounding your medical care including the facts around the pregnancy, what should have been done, and the probable success of treatment.
Common case examples of a birth injury include:
- Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy (also known as HIE or Oxygen Deprivation)
- Infant Skull Fracture
- Bell's Palsy (Facial Nerve Injury)
- Brachial Plexus
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Maternal Pregnancy Death
- Infant Death During Pregnancy
- And many others
If you feel that a medical professional failed to diagnose a medical condition and that has caused you or your family harm, you should consult with an attorney about your potential legal options.